Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #326
RAF

Is the draw bridge working now? We didn't go around much when we were down there this year.
RAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #327
ShortlinesUSA

I saw photo evidence GP18 951 (in the Pullman green scheme) has been returned to service, with Carolina Southern markings painted out. It will reportedly be repainted in RJ Corman colors soon.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #328
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
Is the draw bridge working now? We didn't go around much when we were down there this year.
Copper thieves gutted the bridge a few years ago and it's inoperable. This after the state spent millions refurbishing it... bunch of lowlife meth addicted rednecks down there

There's no customers on that side of the bridge anyway
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #329
Joe the Photog

My recollection is that there is an old CALA customer on the beach side of the bridge
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #330
Joe the Photog

951 has been painted into the Corman scheme. Not sure about 100
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #331
ShortlinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My recollection is that there is an old CALA customer on the beach side of the bridge
Indeed, it was 84 Lumber near the depot:

https://goo.gl/maps/e6TwT9BMwsq

Probably something RJCS could recapture were the bridge in service, but the repair costs would likely justify trucking their product to/from Red Hill if a reload spot could be simply built.

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 08-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #332
TheOldMan

Thanks for the post, Mike. Yes, there was some discussion of what you mentioned.

Obviously RJC is not going to pay to undo an atrocity that was not their responsibility.

In their lease of the line from Conway to Myrtle Beach, it was stated that the County had to put the Waccamaw River Drawbridge into operating condition.

RJC signed two leases on the C-MB track: one to the waterway, and one on the beach side of the waterway, which was contingent on the signing of the first lease, and it was stated in the lease agreement that the bascule bridge was not included in their lease of the track.

I'm sure that RJC would have served 84 Lumber if not for the horrible thing that happened to the drawbridge.

The county can put the drawbridge back into working order, but the estimates to do so are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And, obviously, if the bridge is repaired, it would need good security both during and after the repairs, and would RJC find the revenues from 84 Lumber and any possible new customers, worth the cost to them of the security?

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 AM   #333
ShortlinesUSA

And there you have...reality. Great response, Sir. And it also shows smart business on RJC's part to ensure they weren't hung with a certain losing proposition. It is a shame that drawbridge has been such an obstacle to rail service in Myrtle Beach, but it has been since as long as I can remember after getting into shortline railroading, which was right around 1999.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #334
ShortlinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
951 has been painted into the Corman scheme. Not sure about 100
From what I have heard, 100 would be a parts source for 951. I can't say that's the gospel, though...

Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #335
RAF

Mike, thanks for the post & map. We've been down in that area several times, never realized the station is that close. But then again, we're in MB 2 weeks out of the year.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #336
ShortlinesUSA

Glad to be helpful, RAF. FWIW, I received an update that GP18 100 is also in the process of being painted into RJ Corman colors at present. So it looks like two GP18s will grace the line. That's a tough find in 2017, considering these old gals have had nothing but a nose job over the years.

I would surmise this will free up one of the GP38s to be transferred out. It'll also make a good excuse for a return trip up there next time I'm in Charleston!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #337
RAF

We used to go through Chadbourne on the way down & back, remember seeing all the locos over on the dead line. The only part of the line we see now is along 701 starting at Loris, depends on traffic how far we go down 701. Be nice to spot something on the rails there, but going down on a Saturday & coming back on a Friday, probably slim to none to catch something.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #338
TheOldMan

Default Georgia Pacific Plant

Did anybody here know that RJCorman had bought the Georgia Pacific plant (is it between Chadbourn and Whiteville?) from Columbus County for something like 2 & 1/2 million dollars?

There was some news about a company that does something with railroad ties at or near that location, with a load of ties arriving there.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #339
ShortlinesUSA

First I've heard of it, and still not 100% known who all is involved. But, from the best I can tell, it sounds like the former GP mill will be turned into a crosstie repurposing facility. I would see that as bringing in old ties with some reconditioned as "relay" ties for lesser used lines that don't need brand new crossties. The "Project Black" side looks like it may be an alternative energy concern fueled by scrap crossties.

It seems the project was on the brink of failure when RJ Corman stepped in to invest, as well. This article puts it all together as well as any of them I read:

https://nrcolumbus.com/news/rail-tie-firm-hiring/

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 11-09-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #340
TheOldMan

Thanks for the link to the story, Mike, which I read. It helped me to better understand what is going on in Columbus County. It's good that JRC is getting more industry to locate on the railroad.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #341
ShortlinesUSA

I uploaded one of my CALA photos from 2002 yesterday. Here's a look back in time:

Image © Michael Derrick
PhotoID: 637844
Photograph © Michael Derrick